Please note: Licensing will change starting from 16th April 2021. This page refers to the terms valid from that date onwards. If you need access to the previous licensing terms (2020 until 16th April 2021), you can find the former contents of this page here.
The following section explains which persons (UZH relatives and external persons) are entitled to a Microsoft 365 licence and how it is granted. The guide is intended to provide clarity regarding Microsoft 365 licensing.
|Employees and Professores||Other Employees||Students||External Persons *1||Guests *2|
|Administrative and technical staff, academic associates and positions||Instructors and hourly staff||Students enrolled at UZH||External persons working on behalf and in the name of UZH (all other uses excluded)||All other persons (e.g. external persons, Auditors and DAS/CAS students)|
|Microsoft 365 A5|
|Microsoft 365 A5 (Student benefits)|
|Microsoft 365 A1, OPP, EMS E3|
|Visio Plan 2|
|Project Plan 3|
|Customer lock box|
|*1||To assign the license a UZH ID within the UZH Identity Management with allocated AD account and e-mail collaboration account is needed.|
|*2||You can invite external persons as guests into Teams using their external eMail address. Doing so will provide them with (almost) the same functionality as internal Team members have without the need for neither an internal account nor a license.|
Microsoft 365 licenses are procured centrally via the Central IT. Licenses are allocated within the Active Directory automatically () or by hand by the IT Coordinators (|). Other plans and Add-Ons need to be inquired beforehand by the IT Coordinators at email@example.com (). Automatically assigned licenes are funded by Central IT, costs for manually allocated licenses are charged to institutes. Further license allocation is not permitted ().
Who can obtain a Microsoft 365 license from UZH?
A Microsoft 365 license from the UZH will be granted to subsequent groups:
- Students (registered at the UZH)
- Employees (employed at UZH, regardless of workload and type of employment)
- Employees currently studying at UZH are licensed as students. If they need functions beyond what Student Benefit licenses allow, they can be assigned additional licenses manually.
- External persons working on behalf and in the name of the UZH (all other uses excluded)
Who does not receive a Microsoft 365 license from the UZH? (as of April 2, 2020)
- DAS/CAS Students
Further possibilities for cooperation with external parties who are not eligible for a Microsoft 365 license from UZH
- External persons can be invited as guests to a single Teams meeting or a series thereof using this form.
- External persons who already have a Microsoft 365 account can collaborate with the UZH if their organisation allows Federation (if Teams/Skype for Business is open to "outside")
- External persons can also be invited as guests. The invitation link can be used several times.
- If they have a Microsoft account, the login will be done through this account.
- If they do not have a Microsoft account, an access code will be sent to their e-mail address. (see video instructions available for UZH members only)
- Users who do not yet have a Microsoft 365 license can obtain a Microsoft 365 license via their private e-mail address at https://office.com and subsequently participate as a guest.
Process for issuing Microsoft 365 licenses for students and employees
The allocation of Microsoft 365 licenses for students and employees at UZH is an automated process based on the data entered in the SAP systems. (in analogy to the "onboarding e-mail" of the Central IT)
Process for issuing Visio and Project licenses
We offer Visio and Project exclusively to employees of UZH (who are managed as employees in SAP).
- ZDU: Order via eOrder Webshop
- Institute: Contact point are the respective IT Coordinators of the institutes
Process for granting Microsoft 365 licences to external parties
To assign a Microsoft 365 license, a UZH ID is required in Identity Management with AD account and email collaboration account. Licenses for external users must always be requested from the respective IT Coordinator. The IT Coordinators are responsible for the compliant license allocation as well as for the costs incurred. Here we distinguish between externals with a teaching assignment and other external employees. The latter only receive the online products for cooperation with the UZH.
- ZDU: Order via eOrder Webshop
- Institute: Contact point are the respective IT Coordinator of the institutes
Microsoft 365 licenses are procured centrally via the Central IT, the licenses are allocated in the Active Directory by the IT Coordinators. The costs for licenses to external parties are charged to the institutes. In case of licensing uncertainties, IT Coordinators can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.